Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and Gas Logs

 

What could be better than to spend a cold winter evening in front of the fireplace? Watching the flickering flames can be mesmerizing and help put the cares of the day behind us. So who could imagine that something so inviting and comforting could possibly be dangerous for our health? For many of us gas logs have become the convenient and cleaner way to experience this relaxing time. But safety and precaution should be taken with all kinds of fires. Ventilation even for ventless gas logs is required. Pilot lights on some gas logs burn continually unless specifically extinguished by the homeowner. Many health issues can come from the quiet poisoning that comes from the carbon monoxide emitted by that pilot light. Careful monitoring of carbon monoxide levels is needed and can be provided with carbon monoxide detectors placed in the home. These detectors are available from Lowe’s Home Improvement starting at less than $30 http://www.lowes.com/pd_304230-347-CO605_0__?productId=3031861&Ntt=carbon+monoxide+alarms

Read one man’s story of how his undiagnosed health problems were directly linked to his ventless gas logs:

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/top-news/medical-mystery-solved-1.70608